Life cannot be fun, exciting, or happy all of the time. Approaching life with this idea is neither realistic nor mentally healthy. Things happen that are bad like crime, personal finance problems, or problems on the job. Still, it is wise to surround yourself with the most positive environment possible.
If you are an entrepreneur, this is another perk of this position. Creating your own business allows you to decide for yourself what the atmosphere and environment of your business will be like.
If you are a bright, positive person most of the time, you will radiate this to your workplace. Happiness and enthusiasm are contagious. People will positively respond to this in most cases.
But if you are an employee (as most people are at some point), you have to create that positive environment from within. Some workplaces are bright and cheery, they give you free food, break times to socialize, and even childcare. But not every employer has the philosophy of Google which is to provide them with everything they need so that they will be happy, productive workers.
There is a downside to this. People who work for Google rarely have any real time off. They feel the company “owns” them to a high degree, even though they like the work. It’s a great place to work in many ways and a place to show your technical prowess and creativity. But you have to give more of your time than you would in most jobs.
Capturing the positive side of the Google environment though is a good thing. They play games, feel free to create and dream, make friends, and form creative teams. They are creating a whole culture of creative innovation. They reward their employees with high pay and bonuses. If you can capture this positive environment even in your mind as you go through your day, it will be to your advantage.
When Things are Negative
In answer to the problem of negativity in the workplace, you have to draw on your positive ideas and goals to bring your positive energy into a negative workspace. If your office where you work is drab or boring, there are some ways you can cope with this and cheer others up in the process. Of course, only do what is allowed in your workplace.
1. Keep positive affirmations on a stick-it note or near your workspace so that you will be reminded of your abilities and positive traits. You can write things like “Made that sale!” or “You can do it!” It may seem silly, but simply seeing these words when you are in a negative environment can help you stay inspired to do your best.
2. Keep a picture of your goal nearby. Reminding yourself of your personal goals can help you stay positive. How about a picture of a vacation spot you are working for or that Corvette you want to buy? Some people put a picture of their boyfriend or girlfriend on their desk. Whatever works to inspire you will work fine.
3. Ask yourself what your “why” is. This is a technique developed by famous entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk. He says you need to know “why” you are doing what you are doing in order to be successful. Even if you are working a temporary job, remind yourself that it is just one of the steps needed to reach your ultimate goal.
4. Use visualization techniques. Visualization is a technique used by counselors to imagine a more positive experience rather than the anxiety-provoking reality you face at the moment. Every time you feel anxiety or stress, lean back for a few seconds and imagine you are on a beach with the water coming up around your feet. To heighten this experience, put on a relaxing nature CD to totally immerse yourself. You can only do this when you are alone and undistracted, but use your own judgment as to when you do it. Don’t bring out your sound therapy during an important meeting.
5. Try aromatherapy. Aromatherapy helps many people to surround themselves with relaxing scents. There is an entire industry that is engulfed in this idea. Scented candles, wax melts, and incense are a few of the products you can purchase to introduce aromatherapy into your life. Even Mayo Clinic has something to say about how aromatherapy may help lift your spirits and improve your overall health. Try using some of these items at home and your office (if it’s allowed) but respect the people who work in the office who might have allergies.
These are just a few tips you can try to relieve some of the stress and depression that can occur from adverse environments. Use your imagination to think of your ways of coping. Surround yourself in beauty, love, and goal-seeking. If you can’t do this in reality, do it in your mind.
It can keep you focused and in a better mood to do the things you want to do to bring more joy into your life.