It’s important to think about what you want to do for a career because you will likely be doing it for a long time. Career and high school counselors often work with students while they are still in high school to help them come up with ideas as to what they want to do for a career.
Perhaps you have a school counselor who has helped you make this decision, or a parent who can give you guidance. That’s great! Parents have a lot of experience and can give you sound advice. Counselors, who are more objective, can also help you to iron out the details of what field you may want to pursue.
But in the end, you have to make your own decision. After all, it is you and only you who will live with the decision.
Here are a few tips that may help you to decide what is best for you, based on some of the career and aptitude assessments that are out on the web and other places.
1. Look at your grades and academic performance and write down the subjects in which you most excelled.
2. Check your test scores from both recent and current school years and see if you can find a trend toward elevated achievement in a certain area.
3. Consult with a favorite teacher who hopefully knows you well and can help you make a decision on what you should do based on your ability level and performance in their classes. Sometimes an outside source who knows you but is not related to you may turns out to be the best resource.
4. Shadow a job that is related to your career that you are considering. Usually, you can find someone who will help you “learn the ropes” by allowing you to shadow them for a day in their job.
5. Look online for jobs that are focused on your chosen career and see what they pay. The Federal governmant’s Bureau of Labor Statistics at BLS.gov and payscale.com are two of the best sites because they have past and current salary and employment data so you can see any trends.
Dare to dream but be practical.
It’s important that you go into an occupation that is something you enjoy, but you also need to do something that pays well (at least well enough to meet your needs). Don’t to earn a huge salary right away, but you should strive to get into a field that allows you to grow over time.